Publication Date: January 17th 2019
My Rating: 4/5
A group of three young thieves are pulled into a centuries old magical war between ancient beings, mages, and humanity in this wildly original debut epic fantasy.
The city has always been. The city must finally end. When three thieves – an orphan, a ghoul, and a cursed man – are betrayed by the master of the thieves guild, their quest for revenge uncovers dark truths about their city and exposes a dangerous conspiracy, the seeds of which were sown long before they were born.
Cari is a drifter whose past and future are darker than she can know. Rat is a Ghoul, whose people haunt the city’s underworld. Spar is a Stone Man, subject to a terrible disease that is slowly petrifying his flesh. Chance has brought them together, but their friendship could be all that stands in the way of total armageddon.
Things I Liked
- The world is rich in creatures that I’ve never seen, and the history of it is big. The author has a large imagination and I really enjoyed getting to know the world they created.
- The characters are as unique as the creature and the world they live in. There is a good character work and growth.
- Aleena. I adored this character. She is your badass, witty and funny assassin/saint.
- The author didn’t shy away of breaking the readers’ heart, and I really love when authors do this. I was quite surprised by a couple of plot twists.
Things I didn’t like
- There is so much is this world that sometime I got lost. Between all our characters, the different religions, the history of the place and everything in between that something I felt a little lost.
- I didn’t quite get the Miren-Cari situation and I think it was unnecessary unless I missed something.
- The story was wrapped up nicely, so I’m not to sure where the story is going and what to expect from the next 2 books in the series.
Overall, it was a fantastic story and I would highly recommend it. I already ordered the next 2 books, so stay tuned!