Genre: Adult Science Fiction
Publication Date: February 9th 2016
Series: Red Rising Saga
My Rating: 5/5
Darrow would have lived in peace, but his enemies brought him war. The Gold overlords demanded his obedience, hanged his wife, and enslaved his people. But Darrow is determined to fight back. Risking everything to transform himself and breach Gold society, Darrow has battled to survive the cutthroat rivalries that breed Society’s mightiest warriors, climbed the ranks, and waited patiently to unleash the revolution that will tear the hierarchy apart from within.
Finally, the time has come.
But devotion to honor and hunger for vengeance run deep on both sides. Darrow and his comrades-in-arms face powerful enemies without scruple or mercy. Among them are some Darrow once considered friends. To win, Darrow will need to inspire those shackled in darkness to break their chains, unmake the world their cruel masters have built, and claim a destiny too long denied—and too glorious to surrender.
When I Red Rising I admit I wasn’t blown away. It was a little to “Hunger Games”, but everybody in the book community told me to keep reading and that it get better and better. And boy am I happy that I listen to them! This was a fantastic finale! And without further ado here are my thoughts.
Things I liked:
- Like with the previous two book this one was fast pace, paced with action and kept me on the edge of my seat the hole time.
- The character development of main and side characters was immaculate.
- I mentioned that countless time that I really like when an author doesn’t shy away from breaking your heart. And Pierce Brown almost managed to break mine (it is really difficult to do that)
- The ending was very well executed, and it wasn’t an unrealistic end “they lived happily every after”. Yes OK it was a happy ending but with consequences and with a clear message that there is still a lot of work to be done (probably why we have a second series)
- Recap of the most important characters how they are and what is their relation with other characters at the start of the book. And boy do you need that.
- Darrow finally, finally!!! Stops referring to Eo’s dream every second pages. This is all part of his character’s growth by this used to get on my nerves in the first to books, and I was so happy to see Darrow get over this and finally do things for him, for his friends and his dream, not because “this was Eo’s dream”.
Things I didn’t like:
- There is one thing that really disappointed me. It didn’t change my final rating but it disappointed me. So you know how I said that I really like and appreciate that the author doesn’t shy away from breaking my heart. Unfortunately in his effort to try to devastate his readers he felt into one of my pet peeves. The “I will pretend to break your heart but gotcha I won’t really do it”. That pisses me off. Maybe it’s my fault and I should have picked up on some clue but I didn’t. Which mean that when this heartbreaking moment came I was blown away that the author actually did that, and I was so happy that finally an author had the courage to do something like that. But then a couple of chapters later that was undone and yeah…. disappointed. I admit that it work incredibly well with the story. But I really don’t like the “pretend to do that but I’m not really”… I don’t think I can get into more details without actually spoilering that specific event.
- I had to dig deep to find a second “negative” to this review, and this is more nit-picking than an actual criticism. But the cast of character is so damn big that I could keep track of everybody. I caught myself a couple of times wondering who is that and what do we care ? But that didn’t spoil my enjoyment, just something to keep in mind.
So here you have it, my thought on the last book on the Red Rising trilogy. It turned out to be an amazing ride and I’m so happy that other readers convinced me not to give up after the first book. Really worth it and I highly recommend it!
What about you guys? Have you read this trilogy? What are your thoughts? Let me know in the comments!