Genre: Adult Fantasy
Publication Date: Aug 30 2017
Live fast, die young.
Tam Hashford is tired of working at her local pub, slinging drinks for world-famous mercenaries and listening to the bards sing of adventure and glory in the world beyond her sleepy hometown.
When the biggest mercenary band of all rolls into town, led by the infamous Bloody Rose, Tam jumps at the chance to sign on as their bard. It’s adventure she wants – and adventure she gets as the crew embark on a quest that will end in one of two ways: glory or death.
It’s time to take a walk on the wyld side
Goodreads link: Bloody Rose
Bloody Rose is the second book in the The Band trilogy (I think the third book is still in the writing process). I loved the first book and I was so excited to read the second one. And I have to admit it was a roller coaster. The first 1/4 of the book I was really disappointed and almost angry at it. I felt that it didn’t much the first book and I thought it will end up being a 3 stars read. Then the next 2/4 of the book started picking up and then… oh boy was the last part of the book exactly what I was expecting from it and more… I’ve mentioned it before but the ending of a book and make or break the whole book for me and darn did this ending made the book a 4.5 stars.
Things I liked:
- As with the first book, the characters were all well written, with their own personality and back story to tell. They all complimented each other and the outcome was amazing.
- Rose. I didn’t care for her for most of the book but the author absolutely changed my mind by the end. Love when that happens.
- The writing, again as with the first book, was simple and easy to follow.
- The story and the journey were almost perfectly crafted. Always something new happening to keep you invested in the story with twists and turn that sometimes are obvious but sometimes you don’t see them coming.
- I said in my review of the first book the I loved the final battle… Boy oh boy did this battle topped it by far! Loved it!
- It was very nice to see many characters from book one.
- [Spoiler!] I really love when books or movies dare not to give every single character a happy end. And this book did that! Not every character had a happy ending and not everyone survived. I’ll be honest, there were a couple of foreshadowing but it was so well done! Oh, my poor little heart…..
Things I didn’t like:
- As I mentioned in the above I had issues with the start of the book. We spend a 1/4 of the book with our characters going from arena to arenas and fighting monsters without feeling that this is connected in any way to the actual main story. I was a nice way to get a very good idea of every one of our band member but I still felt that it was falling short especially compared to the preview book. I didn’t felt the connection between the members as strongly as I felt it with the previous band
- As with the first book with have every single fantasy creature that you can image. So much so that we lost track of what is what and how they look. Same with the number of characters during the battle. It is nice to see all the different characters having a role in the battle and not seeing only our main band but you quickly lose track of who is who so I ended up not really caring about how got killed or not.
- [Spoiler!] I spend most of the book mad at the author for foreshadowing, no, almost telling me that our MC will fall in love with a character. And I wasn’t wrong but because I was told about it from the first 2 pages it felt forced… At the end of the book the author manage to change my mind I admin, but I still spend most of the book mad about the fact that he foreshadowed it instead of slowly showing me things developing.
I spend I good part of this book thinking that it would be a 3 stars read, but it became better and better and the ending really made me love this book.
What about you guys? Have you read this book? If yes what are your thoughts and if not are you planning on reading it?